Monday, April 22, 2013

Birds of Prey/End Run


I suppose it’s my own fault that this failed to live up to my expectations, given that I jumped into it right away with only a peripheral amount of knowledge about Black Canary and Huntress (and none at all for Hawk and Dove).  I don’t tend to like Justice League-anything, but since this was Gail Simone I thought I would give it a try.  Frankly, it was boring, and the exploitative artwork of the superheroines made me roll my eyes (fair enough, it was explained away as being in Penguin’s imagination, but still . . .).  I expect it’s too steeped in backstory for me to fully appreciate/understand . . . moreover, I know it must be difficult to create real-life-based thoughts, emotions, and impressions for larger-than-life superheroes, but Greg Rucka, Darwyn Cooke, and Jeph Loeb can do it (to mention but a few).  I remember enjoying the Wonder Woman I read from Simone before; yet End Run just did nothing for me. 

No comments: