Monday, April 22, 2013

The X Files: Remote Control


This has a real retro feel, which is appropriate, given that I cannot seem to find any indicate that it was not published in November 1994 (!).  Therefore, the inking and particularly the coloring in the second story, “Be Prepared,” looked a bit less vivid and lush as what we sometimes come to expect in digital.  On the other hand, these were excellent stories and for the most part, drawn very well—especially the likenesses of Mulder and Scully.

I was a casual fan of The X Files.  I was a bit too young when it was first on TV (I must have been about 11) but I did see some of the later series and given an already burgeoning interest in the occult, it was enjoyable series to watch.  However, I was never in the David Duchovny Estrogen Brigade.  Nevertheless, in reading these highly traditional (in the sense they exude the mood and tone of the TV series) graphic stories, I recall how absolutely appealing Fox Mulder and Dana Scully were.  

I really like both the storylines, though one sets you up to think “conspiracy” and “aliens” and one gives a fairly rational explanation.  Both are by John Rozum, and though fairly talk-y (usually Mulder explaining stuff to Scully) the movement potential of the art propels you along.  John Adlard and Joseph Purcell pencilled and inked “Remote Control,” giving some impressive spreads (think Judge Cerillo in The Dark Knight) and good close ups.  “Be Prepared” feels quicker and invokes some of the sense-centric qualities of TV stories like “Ice.”  

I will have to see if I can find any other volumes from this series. 

No comments: