Monday, March 24, 2008

doctor who -13 days

To celebrate season 4's TV debut in the UK on April 5, I'm doing a countdown based on my favorite quotes from the TV show, books, audios, and bits and bobs I've picked up from places like Doctor Who Magazine. Enjoy.

The Wit of the Universe:
Doctor Who Quotes

What's the use of a good quotation if you can't change it?
(The Sixth Doctor, “Revelation of the Daleks”)

The First Doctor

Fear makes companions of us all. (Anthony Coburn, “An Unearthly Child”)

As we learn about each other, so we learn about ourselves. (David Whitaker, “Inside the Spaceship”)

I won’t allow myself to be frightened out of my wits by mere shadows. (“An Unearthly Child”)

The mind will always triumph. (Terry Nation, “The Daleks”)

Rash action is worse than no action at all. (“Inside the Spaceship”)

Design is completely immaterial. (Dennis Spooner, “The Time Meddler”)

Barbara: Why do you think everyone and everything is less important than yourself?
The Doctor: You think you operate on logic and reason? Well, I don’t share your views.
(“An Unearthly Child”)

That is the dematerializing control, and that over yonder is the horizontal hold; up there is the scanner, those are the doors, and that is a chair with a panda on it. Sheer poetry, dear boy. Now please stop bothering me. (“The Time Meddler”)

“You screwed up, right?” The Doctor blinked at her. “Me, no,” he said, sternly. “I never ‘screw up.’” (Simon Guerrier, The Time Travellers)

Steven: This is a real Viking helmet? It’s a prop.
The Doctor: What else would it be? A space helmet for a cow?
(“The Time Meddler”)

Always search for truth. Mine is in the stars. (“The Daleks”)

The Doctor: Fear always lives with us. Like that other quality your companion mentioned.
Barbara: What’s that?
The Doctor: Hope. (“An Unearthly Child”)

I shall be back, yes I shall be back. Until then, there must be no tears, no fears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. (Terry Nation, “The Dalek Invasion of Earth”)

William Hartnell
Before the part came along I'd been playing a bunch of crooks, sergeants, prison warders and detectives.

Perhaps the greatest of many lines mangled by William Hartnell: “You’ll end up a couple of burnt cinders floating around in Spain—in space!”

It may seem like hindsight now, but I just knew that Doctor Who was going to be an enormous success. Don’t ask me how. Not everybody thought as I did. I was universally scoffed at for my initial faith in the series, but I believed in it. It was magical.

No comments: