Tuesday, March 25, 2008

doctor who quotes -12 days

The Second Doctor
Jamie suspected the Doctor needed reassuring. “Och, nobody can know everything.”
“No, and it’s an awful nuisance, isn’t it?” (David A. McIntee, The Dark Path)

There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. (Greggrey Orme, “The Moonbase”)

Jamie: Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?
The Doctor: Yes, Jamie, I believe I have.
Jamie: What are you going to do?
The Doctor: Bung a rock at it.
(Mervyn Haisman, “The Abominable Snowman”)

“Would you care for a cup of coffee?” she found herself asking him.
The man smiled and looked a little apologetic. “I don’t suppose you have tea?” he asked with a shy smile. (Colin Brake, The Colony of Lies)

Benton: What do we do now?
The Doctor: Keep it confused. Feed it with useless information. I wonder if I have a television set handy? (“The Three Doctors”)

“When you go in and out of the TARDIS, you step between the real world and the TARDIS’s relative dimension. This is just the same thing, but on a different scale, so we take lots of steps to get through it.”
“Does that make sense?”
“Well, it does to me, Jamie.”
(The Dark Path)

Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority. (Bob Baker, “The Three Doctors”)

Jamie: Why are we going in the back way?
The Doctor: To avoid the crowds. They’ll all be scrambling around wanting my autograph. (Robert Holmes, “The Two Doctors”)

“Well, really,” the Doctor tutted. “What’s the point of crossing your timeline like that if you’re just going to be cryptic?” (The Colony of Lies)

“I know, the firing squad.” The Doctor sighed. “It’s quite astonishing how many people have that reaction to me!” (Terrance Dicks, Players)

All these evils I have fought, while you have done nothing but observe! True, I am guilty of interference. Just as you are guilty of failing to use your great powers to help those in need! (Terrance Dicks, “The War Games)

Our lives are different than anybody else’s. That's the exciting thing. Nobody in the universe can do what we're doing. (Kit Pedler, “Tomb of the Cybermen”)

Zoe: Will we ever meet again?
The Doctor: Now, Zoe, you and I know that time is relative, isn't it?
(Terrance Dicks, “The War Games”)

Patrick Troughton

Together with the Astronomer Royal, I fully believe that there is life all over the universe, and it’s man’s greatest conceit to imagine not just that we are alone, but that we are the most important form of life there is.


It [Doctor Who] also gave me great pleasure coming into contact with children, for if I had not been an actor I would quite liked to have been a teacher. Children keep one young.

The Third Doctor
Masters: May I ask who you are?
The Doctor: You may ask!
(Malcolm Hulke, “Doctor Who and the Silurians”)

President: Who employed you?
The Doctor: I can assure you, Madam, that I have never been employed in my life.
(Malcolm Hulke, “Frontier in Space”)

There’s good in everyone, Jo. (“Frontier in Space”)

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting. (Robert Holmes, “The Time Warrior”)

The Doctor: Now that’s stealing.
Cross: That’s what I’m in for. Trouble-maker, eh?
The Doctor: That’s what I’m in for.
(“Frontier in Space”)

The Master: One must rule or serve. That is the basic law of life. Why do you hesitate? Surely it’s not loyalty to the Time Lords, who exiled you to one insignificant planet?
The Doctor: You'll never understand. I want to see the universe, not to rule it.
(Malcolm Hulke, “Colony in Space”)

I had to face my fear. That was more important than just going on living. (Robert Sloman, “Planet of the Spiders”)

Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being afraid and doing what you have to do anyway. (Terry Nation, “Planet of the Daleks”)

No comments: