Thursday, March 27, 2008

doctor who quotes -10 days

Would you mind not standing on my chest? My hat’s on fire. (David Fisher, “The Androids of Tara”)

Rumford: But I still don't understand about hyperspace.
Doctor: Well, who does?
K9: I do.
Doctor: Shut up, K9!
(“The Stones of Blood”)

Sarah Jane: Wouldn’t it be better if—?
The Doctor: No, it wouldn’t!
(“Pyramids of Mars”)

It may be irrational of me, but human beings are quite my favorite species. (Robert Holmes, “The Ark in Space”)

(asked what he does for a living)
I save planets, mostly. (Douglas Adams, “The Pirate Planet”)

Oh, look: rocks! (“Destiny of the Daleks”)

The Brigadier: Naturally enough, the only country that could be trusted with such a role was Great Britain.
The Doctor: Naturally. I mean, the rest were all foreigners. (“Robot”)

Sarah Jane: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Ah . . . forward.
(“Genesis of the Daleks”)

Dr. Carter: Man didn’t exist in Jurassic times.
The Doctor: Yes, that’s true.
(“The Hand of Fear”)

The Doctor: Do I have the right? Simply touch one wire against the other and that's it. The Daleks cease to exist. Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear... in peace, and never even know the word "Dalek.”
Sarah Jane: Then why wait? If it was a disease or some sort of bacteria you were destroying, you wouldn't hesitate.
The Doctor: But if I kill. Wipe out a whole intelligent life form, then I become like them. I'd be no better than the Daleks.
(Terry Nation, “Genesis of the Daleks”)

The Doctor: Would you like a jelly baby?
Leela: It's true then! They say the Evil One eats babies.
The Doctor: You mustn't believe all they say. (“The Face of Evil”)

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. (“The Ark in Space”)

Excuse me, can you help me? I’m a spy. (“Genesis of the Daleks”)

Keep an open mind, that’s the secret. (Louis Marks, “Masque of the Mandragora”)

Sarah Jane: Don't forget me.
Doctor: Oh, Sarah... don't you forget me.
(Dave Martin, “The Hand of Fear”)

The Doctor: You want me to volunteer, is that it? And if I don't?
White Guardian: Nothing.
The Doctor: You mean nothing'll happen to me?
White Guardian: Nothing at all. Ever.
(Robert Holmes, “The Ribos Operation”)

Tom Baker

It would have been nice to have someone amazed at the way I was dressed, or so impressed by my helping them that they all dressed like me. I could have had an army all dressed like me, and I could have drilled them—all tripping over their scarves . . .!


I think the biggest bores in the hero business are James Bond . . . footballers. They're non-people who do nothing but kick other people. One wouldn't want to have them round for tea. The Doctor doesn't shoot anybody, drink, beat up women, but somehow he has a heroic appeal to children.
He’s rather like a tall light bulb, isn’t he? (of Jon Pertwee, 1977)

It’s a bit like being at your own wake. (of regenerating into Peter Davison, 2006)

Interviewer: Does this bring back any memories? [hands a piece of the Key to Time to Tom]
Tom: What on earth is it?
Interviewer: Remember, the episodes where you had to go round with Mary Tamm and collect these up. You did the DVD commentaries for them a while back, for BBC America.
Tom: Of course, when I was with Mary Tamm, all I could think about were her bosoms. I kept looking at her wonderful lips and then her bosoms and having all sorts of. . . I often used to forget the words.

People kept marvelling and saying, "Christ, are you still alive?" I said, "I am, I am," and then a big crowd got round me and somebody said," what’s going on?" and someone [else] said "Look, it’s Jon Pertwee!" So I’m mistaken for the dead. (2002)

Well darling, not only am I ready to jump in [to my grave], but some people are already putting flowers on it. I saw a man recently putting some forget-me-nots on my grave, and then he came and saw me there and said, "I’ve just been putting some flowers on your grave," and I said "thank you," and thought, "here’s a nice one."
He said, “It’s very moving when I kneel there,” - he was saying a prayer. It didn’t seem to occur to him that I was there, looking very corporeal.

No comments: