Wednesday, March 26, 2008

doctor who quotes -11 days

Jon Pertwee
If William Hartnell’s Doctor was the old ratbag, and Patrick Troughton’s was the clown, then my Doctor was the Dandy!

I thought it was best to let people assume that I was a genius and not go on about it.


In a technical show like Doctor Who, things can frequently go wrong during a recording, whereupon I would usually stop immediately. But I remember one marvelous scene from "The Mind of Evil" when Roger Delgado pulled a gun on me and, in the struggle that followed, we accidentally knocked a jug of water on to the studio floor. It practically turned into a sheet of ice. Roger and I both fell over. Neither of us could stay perpendicular and we kept scrambling for the gun. I was about to stop then I imagined the producer up in the box saying "Go on! Don't stop!" So we carried on, and apparently the whole scene looked superb.
I much preferred the threat coming to Earth. I think it’s infinitely more frightening to find a Yeti sitting in your loo in Tooting Bec, or the Daleks streaming over Westminster Bridge than it is to find them on an alien planet.

I hate them [the Daleks] and they don’t scare me one bit!

The Fourth Doctor
“Who are you exactly?”
“I’m flattered,” the Doctor said, “that you would think I could answer such a question.” (Chris Boucher, Psi-ence Fiction)

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. (Terrance Dicks, “Robot”)

The Doctor: Humans have got such limited little minds. I don't know why I like you so much.
Sarah Jane Smith: Because you have such good taste.
Doctor: That’s true. That's very true.
(Louis Marks, “Masque of the Mandragora”)

I’m the Doctor, the definite article you might say. (“Robot”)

Dr. Raj: Wonderful thing, pain. Without it, no species would survive.
The Doctor: Yes, I’m aware of that.
(“The Hand of Fear”)

Romana: I thought you said external appearances weren’t important.
The Doctor: Ah, but it’s nice to get them right, though, isn’t it?
(Terry Nation, “Destiny of the Daleks”)

Countess Scarlioni: Oh, Doctor, I'm quite convinced you’re perfectly mad.
The Doctor: Only at my worst. Nobody's perfect.
(Douglas Adams, “City of Death”)

Time is my business. (Robert Holmes, “The Pyramids of Mars”)

Andred: You have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the universe.
The Doctor: Well, I do talk to myself sometimes.
(David Agnew, “The Invasion of Time”)

Gods don’t use transceivers. (Chris Boucher, “The Face of Evil”)

Progress is a very flexible word. It can mean whatever you want it to mean. (Robert Holmes, “The Power of Kroll”)

The Doctor: Never cared much for the word “impregnable.” Sounds a bit too much like “unsinkable.”
Harry: What's wrong with “unsinkable”?
The Doctor: Nothing. As the iceberg said to the Titanic.
Harry: What?
The Doctor: Gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop, gloop.
(“Robot”)

Why can’t people be nice to one another? I’m an alien and you don’t want to drag me into a swamp. You do. (“Full Circle”)

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering. (“Face of Evil”)

Women can be monsters too, you know. (Jacqueline Rayner, Wolfsbane)

Amelia Rumford: Can I ask you a personal question?
The Doctor: Well, I don't see how I can stop you asking.
Rumford: Are you from outer space?
The Doctor: No, I'm more from what you would call inner time. (David Fisher, “Stones of Blood”)

No comments: